The JagAIOA is an Analog Audio & Video "all-in-one" adapter for your Atari Jaguar. It allows you to connect standard S-Video, Composite, Stereo Audio, and Genesis Model 2 cables (for RGB) to your Jag. RGB out will work great with HD Retrovision cables just like our Jag2GEN adapter.
Differences between JagAIOA with and without the RGB Amp:
- The JagAIOA uses a 9-pin mini DIN just like the Sega Genesis. Unfortunately, that means the RGB signal voltages are dropped a bit when using a Genesis Scart cable due to the required components in properly built Genesis cables. The RGB Amp within the amped JagAIOA "boosts" the RGB signals inline with a Sega Genesis, brightening the picture back to where it should be. This does not impact HD Retrovision cable users.
- The Amped JagAIOA allows for safe dual Composite Video output.
- Slightly clearer Composite video specifically around the edges of objects (also known as "dot crawl").
- Less analog to digital noise.
- RetroRGB: Non-Amped Review
- RetroRGB: Amped Review
RetroRGB Weekly Roundup:
Q) Why are you "blocking" the DSP port?
A) The JagAIOA isn't actually blocking the DSP connector but rather it's using it for power. One of the main benefits of using the DSP port for is not needing an additional cable to and PSU to power the adapter. Another benefit is the possibility of powering an external HDMI adapter like a LevelHike or Rad2X without the need for external power.
Q) Ok but what if I want to use the JagNet with the JagAIOA?
A) Check out our JagAIOA Plus, which includes our JagNet functionality.
Q) What will the RGB pinout be?
A) The RGB socket is a 9-pin Mini-DIN and the pinout is identical to the Genesis Model 2 AV pinout just like our Jag2GEN adapter. This allows you to use any Genesis Model 2 AV cable even if you're just looking for Composite video or the amazing HD Retrovision cables for RGB.
Q) I have Sega Genesis Model 2 SCART CSYNC cables, will those cables work with the JagAIOA?
A) Yes! In fact, the JagAIOA brings the Atari Jaguar's CSYNC line down to match the Genesis Model 2's CSYNC TTL level. This means the JagAIOA takes full advantage of CSYNC SCART cables. Just make sure you're using quality SCART cables, which should have a 470ohm resistor and 220uf capacitor on the SYNC line for proper 75ohm compliance. There's one caveat with using Genesis SCART cables. if they're wired correctly and you're using the non-Amped version of the JagAIOA, the cable will have a resistors and capacitors on the RGB signal lines, which will cause the picture to be dimmer compared to the other cables such as HD Retrovision cables. You can mitigate the dimness by adjust your display's brightness.
Thanks to RetroRGB Bob for helping me test the Amped model of the JagAIOA. Product appearance, prices, and specifications are subject to change without notice.