The JagAIOA is an Analog Audio & Video “all-in-one” adapter for your Atari Jaguar. It allows you to connect standard S-Video, Composite, Stereo Audio, and Genesis Model 2 cables (for RGB) to your Jag.
- Use common Genesis Model 2 cables including Composite, RGB Scart, and HD Retrovision cables through the 9-pin mini Din.
- The RGB output is amplified for the best picture quality and dual Composite out.
- RCA breakout for Composite video and stereo audio.
Q) Why are you “blocking” the DSP port?
A) The JagAIOA isn’t actually blocking the DSP connector but rather it’s using it for power. One of the main benefits of using the DSP port for is not needing an additional cable to and PSU to power the adapter. Another benefit is the possibility of powering an external HDMI adapter like a LevelHike or Rad2X without the need for external power.
Q) Ok but what if I want to use the JagNet with the JagAIOA?
A) Check out our JagAIOA Plus, which includes our JagNet functionality.
Q) What will the RGB pinout be?
A) The RGB socket is a 9-pin Mini-DIN and the pinout is identical to the Genesis Model 2 AV pinout just like our Jag2GEN adapter. This allows you to use any Genesis Model 2 AV cable even if you’re just looking for Composite video or the amazing HD Retrovision cables for RGB.
Q) I have Sega Genesis Model 2 SCART CSYNC cables, will those cables work with the JagAIOA?
A) Yes! In fact, the JagAIOA brings the Atari Jaguar’s CSYNC line down to match the Genesis Model 2’s CSYNC TTL level. This means the JagAIOA takes full advantage of CSYNC SCART cables. Just make sure you’re using quality SCART cables, which should have a 470ohm resistor and 220uf capacitor on the SYNC line for proper 75ohm compliance.
Q) What’s the difference between the original JagAIOA and the newer amplified JagAIOA?
A) There are a few key differences:
- Both JagAIOA versions use a 9-pin mini DIN just like the Sega Genesis. Unfortunately, that means the Jaguar’s RGB signal voltages are dropped a bit when using a Genesis Scart cable due to the required components in properly built Genesis cables. The RGB Amp within the newer amped JagAIOA boosts the RGB signals inline with a Sega Genesis, brightening the picture back to where it should be. The older non-amped JagAIOA will be darker through Scart. This does not impact HD Retrovision cable users.
- The amped JagAIOA allows you to safely use Composite Video output from the 9-pin mini DIN and the RCA jack at the same time.
- The newer amped JagAIOA has a slightly clearer Composite video specifically around the edges of objects (also known as “dot crawl”).
Thanks to RetroRGB Bob for helping me test the Amped model of the JagAIOA.